"True international schools are culturally diverse with a rainbow of nationalities represented... If you've already lived internationally, you know daily living can be much easier than back home. Hiring a nanny, housekeeper or cook is an enormous benefit to any parent. When you get home from work, there is [not so much] cooking, cleaning, or laundry responsibilities — hooray! More time can be devoted to family. There are many delightful benefits to going international with children, not the least of which is watching your children become world citizens. Of course, not every location is Shangri-La. There are important factors to consider when choosing a school & host country with your children in tow. Here are some points to take into consideration:
• Does the job allow a lifestyle that emphasizes family time?
• Are there medical & dental facilities that meet my family’s needs?
• Is there an acceptable level of stability & safety?
• Is trustworthy childcare available? Are English-speaking nannies affordable?
• Does the school's benefit package include dependents’ tuition, insurance, & flights?
• Do the school's programs meet my child’s needs?
• Is the school ‘family-friendly’, supporting teachers when family needs arise?
• Is the school population diverse? Will my child make friends & be accepted?
Whether you're a single mom/dad or a couple, moving overseas with children of any age can pose extensive benefits."
(from the International Schools Review web site)
I will say that Budapest is - even in times of dire straits or conversations where I/we feel I/we need to be 'talked down from the ledge' - a great place for our kids and our family. I can answer with a resounding "yes!" to all of the criteria listed above. And, sadly but perhaps not unexpectedly, recent educational decisions in our state and district have forced us to put ourselves into introspection overdrive. Rest assured we are safe, happy, fulfilled and following our dream of living in Europe and providing our children with a unique and wonderful educational and life experience.
And from what I saw during my recent visit-all is well. Y'all are happy and the school is beautiful. The children I met in Kerry's and Savannah's classes are from diverse cultures and are enthusiastic, engaged learners. Kudos to you all!
ReplyDelete